Friday, November 16, 2012

Female Artists’ Response To Domestic Violence

Domestic violence is a reoccurring issue not only in hip-hop culture, but in other cultures as well. The physical and verbal abuse of women has always been highlighted as a result of rappers bragging of assaulting in their songs.
Most femcees have gone unnoticed for their inspirational resistance against abusive men. Notable female artists that have mentioned their refusal to be further victimized by men in their lyrics are Eve, Lauryn Hill, Aaliyah, and Janet Jackson.
In Eve’s hit single “Love Is Blind,” depicts her approaching a friend’s sexually abusive boyfriend demanding to know his reasons for the assault.
Eve also points out that love is not based on the expensive gifts you receive from someone and is not an excuse for the abuse.
“I mean shit he bought you things and gave you diamond rings
But them things wasn't worth none of the pain that he brings”
As the song continues, the abuse mentioned in Eve’s lyrics becomes more violent. The boyfriend had killed his girlfriend from beating her and still showed his face at the funeral.
Eve ends the song with her aiming a gun at the kneeling boyfriend showing that woman can stand up for themselves.
And before you had a chance to get up
You heard my gun cock

Prayin' to me nowI ain't God but I'll pretend                                                                                                              And I did, clear shots and no regrets, never
Cops comin' lock me under the jail”
The impact of this song was so detrimental during its release; Eve has since created a foundation named after the song. The Love Is Blind Foundation continues to help raise awareness on domestic and sexual violence.
Lauryn Hill takes a similar approach to Eve in stressing the importance of ending domestic violence in her song “I Get Out.”
Hill touches on the inner conflict abused women face when confronted with either not telling anyone of the assault or doing something about it.
“I won’t support your lie no more                                                                                                                                                I won’t even try no more”
She describes societies and the legal systems handle on domestic violence as a “joke.” Hill notes that leaving an abusive loved one is hard but necessary.
“Repressin' me to death                                                                                                                                                I’ve seen a change in you
Cuz now I'm choosin' life, yo
I'll take the sacrifice, yo
If everything must go, then go”
Deceased female artist, Aaliyah described her encounters with abusive men in her song “Never No More.”  In the song, Aaliyah describes her disturbance by the fact that the man who she once knew to love is now harming her.
“Thought I lost you
When you twist back my arm
Cause the man I thought I knew
Wouldn't do me no harm”
She then explains how woman may forgive their boyfriends or husbands because they believe he’ll never do it again.
“I should’ve left you…                                                                                                                                                          Now here we are  again                                                                                                                            You at my throat                                                                                                                                                            Now I see the same old change”
Lastly, Janet Jackson touches on domestic violence issues in her song “What About.” The song refutes forgiveness in domestic violence as Janet denies the truth of her lover’s affection and reminisces of the times he lied, hit, and raped her.
“What about the times you hit my face
What about the times you kept on when I said "no more please"
What about those things”                                           
Jackson’s strong lyrics demand women to take action against their abusers by leaving them, no matter how much your heart tells you ‘no.’
“My heart was poundin
But the time had come
To stop lettin my whisperin heart control me
And tellin my screamin mind what to do”                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment